Male on Male Rape: Web sites and pages with useful information
Sites listed below are roughly in the order that I found them, and not in a particular sequence.
- from the American Medical Association
- Athlete Hazing (APB News)
- from the article: "Each year, kids who administer hazing go a step further than what was done to them," he said. "Pretty soon, they step over the cliff." [...] He may be onto something. Other fraternity and sorority members participating in the chat session shared stories of paddling, having dirty jockstraps shoved into their mouths, being sodomized and performing group sex acts in front of other classmates. [...] These chat-room tales of degradation and sexual abuse elicited condemnation from some who said they were in fraternities; they scorned not the hazers, but the victims divulging details of their initiations.
- NOMSV (Male Survivors of Sexual Assault and Abuse)
- Doubting Thomas: Male sexual assault information and resources (Chris Kreussling - link corrected 2/2000)
- InfoLink: Male Rape (National Center for Victims of Crime, added 2/2000)
- Male Rape (Kate Orman - link corrected 2/2000)
- The Rape of Males (Call Rape, Inc.)
- Page includes links to resources and personal narratives. Probably the best general overview, and relatively brief.
- MRPP: Male Survivors
- Men and Women: How they handle Sexual Abuse in Different Ways (Rosa Linscott, University of Maine, BSIA Project)
- AVP: Male Sexual Assault (brochure, English)
- Men and Sexual Assault (ASH: Abuse-Safe Haven: Online survivor support - added 2/2000)
- Research Bibliography: Male Rape
- SAIP:Men's Resources
- University of Miami Counseling Center: Male Victims
It may be worth noting that the sexual assault of males on college campuses seems to be increasing, or else they are becoming more aware of the possibility. During the search for information on the topic, I found several versions of this page at different college campuses: Miami, Texas A&M, Iowa, MIT, California-Davis, Michigan State, to name a few.
- Male on Male Sexual Violence (Youth Resource Library)
- When Men are Raped (Ohio State University via Homesafe Rape Crisis Center)
Articles, Books, and Other Information
- SHAME SILENCES MANY MALE RAPE VICTIMS
Honolulu Star-Bulletin, June 12, 1997
By Nkiru Asika,
Newhouse News Service
- To a man who has been sexually assaulted (Dane County [WI] Commission on Sensitive Crimes, Coordinated Community Response for Sexual Assault)
- Study reveals extent of male rape (The Wellcome Trust, London, UK, 26 March 1999)
- NOTE: A British study, based on a relatively small sample.
- South Africa: Shock Male Rape Stats (South Africa Online, Daily News, October 25, 1999)
- It's not well written, so it's difficult to tell precisely what's meant. It seems to be saying that 20% of all South African men were sexually assaulted as adults.
VA Discovers Many Men Subjected to Sexual Abuse
Seattle Times, Sunday, Sept. 28, 1997
Copyright © 1997 The Seattle Times Company
- Includes a few harrowing, if thankfully brief, personal stories.
- Silent Victims: Bring Male Rape Out of the Closet by Sue Rochman
The Advocate, volume 582, pages 38-43, July 30, 1991
- Includes several personal accounts.
- King, Michael. Woollett, Earnest.
- Sexually assaulted males: 115 men consulting a counseling service. Click on title to get Full Text
- Archives of Sexual Behavior. Vol 26(6), Dec 1997, 579-588.
- Rape's Unnoticed Victim by Susan Wachob
Retrogression #13: Same-Sex Rape and the Mainstream survivor's movement
- Despite the title, it's essentially a personal account of one man's experiences and what happened afterward.
- Citations and Abstracts of Articles from the professional medical, nursing, and mental health literature
Male Rape - other web sites and pages
Male Rape - citations and abstracts to articles in the professional medical, nursing, and mental health literature